Staff forum 18 Oct 2012
Open Access forum for University staff
18 October 2012
Following similar developments in the UK and USA, the National Health and Medical Research Council (NH&MRC) in Australia announced in mid-2012 that it would soon require grant-funded research to be published in an Open Access repository. Other Australian research funding bodies indicated that they might introduce similar mandates.
These and other Open Acess developments were the topic of a forum for University staff on 18 October 2012.
The forum was chaired by Professor Andrew Kenyon, Deputy Dean, Law School.
- Professor Margaret Sheil, Provost
- Professor James McCluskey, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research)
- Professor Jane Gunn, Head of Department of General Practice and Primary Health Care, MDHS, and a member of the NH&MRC Research Committee
A panel of academics explored Open Access from their various discipline perspectives:
- Dr Gaétan de Rassenfosse, Research Fellow, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research
- Associate Professor Andrew J. May, School of Historical and Philosophical Studies
- Associate Professor Michael McCarthy, ARC Future Fellow, School of Botany, and Deputy Director ARC Centre of Excellence for Environmental Decisions
Audience questions and feedback were encouraged.
This forum for University of Melbourne staff was hosted by the University Library.